1. Judt, Tony, “The New Old Nationalism.” The New York Review of Books, May 26, 1994.
2. Hazony, chapters IV-VII and chapters XIII-XIV: John Locke and the Liberal Construction; Nationalism Discredited; Liberalism as Imperialism; Nationalist Alternatives to Liberalism;National Freedom as an Ordering Principle; The Virtues of the National State.
3. Hazony, chapters XV-XVlll, and conclusion; The Myth of the Federal Solution; The Myth of the Neutral State A Right to National Independence; Some Principles of the Order of National States; The Virtue of Nationalism.
4. Luban, Daniel, “The Man Behind National Conservatism.” https://newrepublic.com/article/154531/man-behind-national-conservatism; Wimmer, Andrew, “Why Nationalism Works” https://reader.foreignaffairs.com/2019/02/12/why-nationalism-works/content.html. Appiah, Kwame Anthony, “The Importance of Elsewhere” https://reader.foreignaffairs.com/2019/02/12/the-importance-of-elsewhere/content.html.
5. Holmes, Kim R., “The Problem of Nationalism.” https://www.heritage.org/conservatism/commentary/the-problem-nationalism; Williamson, Kevin R., “The Nationalism Show.” https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/03/american-nationalism-public-policy-aesthetics-donald-trump/. Muller, Jan-Werner, “False Flags” https://reader.foreignaffairs.com/2019/02/12/false-flags/content.html. Snyder, Jack, “The Broken Bargain“ https://reader.foreignaffairs.com/2019/02/12/the-broken-bargain/content.html. Cederman, Lara-Erik, “Blood for Soil” https://reader.foreignaffairs.com/2019/02/12/blood-for-soil/content.html.
6. Lepore, chapters I-IX; History and Nations; Nations and Nationalism; Nations and States; The Emergence of Nationalism; Liberalism and Nationalism; Nations and Citizens; Nations and Progress;Two Nationalisms; A New Nation.
7. Lepore, chapters X-XVI: Race and Nation; Nations and Origins ; Cold War Liberalism; Can This Be America?; The End of Liberalism?; The Return of Nationalism; A New Americanism.
Yoram Hazony, The Virtue of Nationalism (Basic Books, 2018)
Jill Lepore, This America: The Case for the Nation (Liveright, 2019)